Fair Trade Ottawa Équitable (FTOÉ) is looking for enthusiastic volunteers for the position of Community Leader. We are looking for multiple volunteers across the city for leadership positions that can be performed in volunteers’ local neighbourhoods. This is a great opportunity for those who use public transit or live outside the downtown core and may struggle to travel to across the city.
Required tasks and responsibilities
- Deliver community outreach in a specific municipal ward in order to obtain local community support (ideally the ward that would be assigned would be the area in which the volunteer lives)
- Develop an action plan for how they plan to obtain letters of support from residents of their ward, with help from FTOÉ Directors
- Communicate with FTOÉ Directors on what resources they will need to achieve their plan, as well as regular updates on the progress they are making on their action plan
- Distribute educational materials to community members about fair trade as required and requested
- Organize events to get the community involved in the campaign, as part of their action plan
- Attend a training session, during which the volunteer will have support developing their action plan (this will take place in the downtown Ottawa area, but all other work can be done remotely)
- Commit approximately 5 hours/week to executing their action plan, or as necessary to hit the targets they set in the plan
- Collaborate with other volunteers if/when support from FTOÉ team may be needed
- Participate in occasional calls and/or meetings with FTOÉ leadership
- Volunteers will primarily work from home
- Skype will be used for calls and meetings wherever possible
- This is NOT a canvassing or telemarketing position
- Access to a reliable internet connection and ability to use common software (e.g. Skype, internet browser) as necessary
- Fluency in English
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse community partners
- Availability for one of our training sessions (see application, below)
- Prior experience in community organizing is an asset, but not required
- Prior knowledge about fair trade is an asset, but not required
- Knowledge of French and/or other languages is a strong asset
To apply for this position, please complete the application form here.
We thank all applicants, however only those candidates who are selected for an interview or the position will be contacted.
FTOÉ recognizes the value of diverse perspectives and welcomes applications from individuals with marginalized identities.