FTOÉ is going to participate in Fairtrade Month through the hashtags #FairtradeMonth and #MoisFairtrade and fair trade events. You can also get involved in the Canadian movement for greater awareness of fair trade. Enter Fairtrade Canada’s social media contest, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube for updates on fair trade products and projects.
If you want to get up to your elbows in Fair Trade events, below you’ll find some things that are going on in and around Ottawa this month. We will update this list as we hear of other events, and feel free to submit your own!
Saturday, May 2:
- Wakefield’s 8th Annual Fair Trade Fair will celebrate Fairtrade Month in the village of Wakefield—already a Fair Trade Town!
Sunday, May 3:
- Lansdowne Farmers’ Market‘s regular season begins! Please be sure to support small, local, organic producers when you can’t get something in a Fair Trade variety!
- Screening of “La Ciudad” (“The City”) [link no longer available] presented by South ↔ North: Cinema Across Borders. Check out this critically-acclaimed film that touches on labour issues.
Saturday, May 9:
- Fair Trade Soirée Équitable, which is FTOÉ’s biggest event of the year!
Saturday, May 23:
- FTOÉ’s annual Visioning Retreat! If you want to be involved in the direction FTOÉ takes in 2015-2016, contact us for more information!
- Great Glebe Garage Sale, where various green non-profits will be reaching out to the community!
Saturday, May 23 and Sunday, May 24:
- Run for Biodiversity / Vive la biodiversité! [link no longer available] USC is holding a run to raise funds to support Ethiopian farmers looking to keep sustainable farming practices alive.